Charles Clinkard

When Charles and Eveline Clinkard opened their first shoe shop in 1924, they little knew they were founding a footwear empire - and a family dynasty that still runs the company 90 years later. Today, the Clinkard Group has 33 stores across the UK, and managing director Charles is the third generation to be in charge. The company became established throughout the 1930s and 1940s and just after World War Two Eveline introduced children's shoes to store and they very quickly became a success.

In 1953 the company opened its third store in Redcar, and continued to expand over the coming decades. Founder Charles died in 1964 and four years later the company opened its fourth store, in Northallerton, while Roger founded wholesale business Intershoe, innovatively importing winter boots from Scandinavia. In 1974 the company celebrated its 50th anniversary and Colin Clinkard joined the business full time after selling up his accountancy practice.